Saturday, June 5, 2010

Americanista - its meaning

Americanista, what does it mean, and what does it portray? We live in times, where Patriotism, a recent invented concept, still holds sway, in many peoples lives. For some, it has replaced, religion. For others, it is simply, a feel good mechanism, for having failed in life. But there are those of us, who know about Patriotism, and America. Patriotism, it is known, will not make you happy, or even succeed in life. Just ask the Chinese; Patriotism has never been so well defined, as it was, by Mao. But its a miserable existence, and funnily enough, many turn eventually, to America, to make their Patriotism work. Sounds maddening to me, and for a good reason: I believe in Americanism. Americanism, is a philosophy, of life: how to live it.

There are three types, of Americanistas:

1. Legends: Those who aspire, to live out the life, of an American legend. You hear it all the time, the Indian Bill Gates, or the African Donald Trump.

2. Materialists: Those who seek, to live a life, around American material culture, or as some call it, American stuff.

3. Libertans: Libertans, might seem to be a confusing term, fort the third group of Americanistas, but it simply speaks of, one who lives (out) part, of their life in America, and is influenced by it.

Libertans, are people, who visit America, travel there really, and pick up on things, Americans do; like eating out, or keeping pets. This form of Americanism, has traditionally, been associated, with Europeans, but is now becoming more common, amongst Africans. An example of this, was 60's France, where Europes premier nation, sought to go, the American way, really by dress and keeping pets. They called it Gay Paree, but others saw it more, as Gay Paree part deux.

I belong, to the Materialists group, for nothing makes me happy, like American stuff. From American movies, to American music, to American lit/magazines and even American furniture. At the most, this stuff, has prevent me from going crazy, in Africa; at the least, it has kept me awake. This stuff, is hard to find today outside America, and once found, is really cherished. Real good American stuff, like a Gibson Guitar, or even, a real deal American chick. Immigrants won't do.

I grew up, reading all kinds of American magazines, and one of the most memorable, was Cosmopolitan. It was in there, that I got, my 'daily dosage', of American chicks, and none other enthralled me, more like Cindy Crawford. Cindy with a mole, on her face. I remember, opening a page with Cindy Crawford in it, always in a Cosmopolitan for she never did feature in Vogue. I remember too, closing the page, and lying on my bed, as a pubescent teen, and pretending, to make love, to Cindy Crawford. I always imagined, if I did make it to America, I would be in a relationship, with Cindy Crawford, despite any differences, age really. Linda Evangelista, also pretty much featured there, but I knew, she was somewhat different. Naomi Campbell, in my patriotism years, drilled in school, I always so her, as a trailblazer, opening gates, while doing her thing. Always did like Naomi, and to this day, have never known why. Then came Tyra, Tyra Banks, and this was not met with enthusiasm, for I knew, she would never be into me. Green eyes or not.

The lack of American stuff, is what has persuaded me really, to leave Africa. Its fun being an Americanista, and Americanistas, never really dream, of making it, to America, unless for a good reason. Its another group, Americophiles, that seek to make America, their home.


Americanism, should not be confused, with Religion or Spiritualism. It belongs, to another section, of religiousity: Incorporeality. To make a difficult, and often confusing (made so) subject, easy, incorporeality, is about the existence, of another realm, where life is believed, to be perfect. At the very least, it keeps ones, wayward imagination, busy. Yet really, what Americanism, is all about, is that one can live, a dangerous life (not many seek to live a life of danger), and if it gets crazy, one can escape, to America. In a world, where few ever realize their dreams, due to political reasons, Americanists believe, in going out there, and living dangerous and if failing, to succeed, moving to America, and living happily ever after.

That's my dogma: More fenders, more chevys, more cindys.