Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Dinner Conversation

About, three weeks ago, I had the honor, or was honored really, to visit, London. I have a friend, his name, is Rick, and Rick, has some business ambitions, that have, in recent months, taken him, to London, more often, than not. Rick, believes, or kind of believes, that London, is destined, to be, a great business Mecca. He kinda believes, that London, could very much, and especially, be, a center, for business, for the African continent. I kinda, felt strange, when I heard this, as, most Africans, tend to do, their business, in the Middle East, and Asia. I did not, question, his motives, or intentions too much, but decided, to do, as he, requested: which was, a trip, to London, to clearly see, what he meant.

It was, a warm, monday evening, when we, departed, for our journey, to London, England. I was, kinda excited, the whole, monday morning, and day, but had, nothing much packed, as it promised, to be, a rather short trip. I had thrown in, some clothes, in a suitcase, and had, very much, my laptop, with me, as I, intended, to do, some writing, while in, England. We were booked, on a, Lufthansa flight [don't remember the number really], and once, settled in, having dealt, with the rather, excitable, customs units, I leaned back, onto my chair, and simply, looked around, at who, was in, and not. Rick, was seated, next to me, and he being, a kinda, serious fella, had taken out, some material, a book of some sort really, which he was, reading through. I quickly glanced, at the book, but did not care, too much, as Rick, is not really, the conversant type. He prefers, to let things happen, to explain, his point. I seated still, looking around, at the hostesses really, being nice, to everyone, and all, happened, to notice, a rather attractive, English lady, seated, some distance ahead. Did not take, too much notice, but thoughts, of England, did fill, my mind. I kinda imagined, she was not, the only one, of her kind really, attractive, in London, at the moment. I get a greets, from a hostess, formalities really, and sit back, in, into, my seat, and look over, at Rick, somewhat, wondering, what he was really, looking at. A fast question to him, on the subject, gets no, real response, as he kinda, mumbles, to himself, and swiftly, somewhat really, turns, the page, of the book, he is holding. As we prepared, for takeoff, on that monday, evening, I could not help, but think, of England; many thoughts, running, through my mind. First off, Imperial Britain, next, was Princess Diana, then, London itself, according to Charles Dickens really, and finally, Elizabeth [Queen that is]. The plane, in the air, about, thirty minutes later, and I, sit back, to relax really, wondering, what in house, movie, they will be showing. Am kinda, really picky, when it comes, to movies, but this, being a flight, I am willing, to excuse, any incongruencies. I feel bored, and I start, to realize, remember really, that I hate, flights; it will be some time, before, we land, in Heathrow-London, from Harare, Zimbabwe. The movie starts, an animation, by Steven Spielberg and co., under, the banner of, Dreamworks, which I think, is cool, as I always, wanted, to do something, in animation. The toon, is kind of, interesting, and I take it in, rather, condescendingly. This goes on, the condescending melodrama, until dinner, is served, and we get down, to chowing it down. The flight, proved, to be rather, uneventful, and time to time, I found myself, glancing, towards the English ladys' direction, to really see, what she was, up to, really. I'm the kind, of person, or fool really, who believes, every beautiful woman, out there, is attracted to me; really, I truly believe this.

We arrived, in London, early, the next morning, a tuesday, and once through, customs, in a, rather hurry, as they all seemed, to take, Rick, rather seriously, we set about, getting out, of Heathrow. Rick, has arranged, for someone, to meet us there, and we get out, of heathrow, rather quick, and into, a waiting car, driven, by someone, Rick, is acquainted with. Luggage, in the car, and we in it, the driver back, in the front seat, and off, we are, to an unknown, destination, to me. Rick, is rather, silent, although, the driver, does question him, once or twice. London, is looking, rather gloomy, and as we speed along really, to our, destination, I find myself, looking around, and about, hoping, atleast, to spot, a known landmark, like the Thames, or even, Big Ben. It does not happen, and knowing Rick, I am not, too surprised, as we end up, in a, destination, that makes me think, we are not really, in London, having seen nothing, English, at all. We were dropped off, at an apartment complex, looked good too, where at, Rick, apparently, owns, one of the duplexes. The duplex itself, is rather, sparingly decorated, and really white, in color. Looks kind of, cool, and there is a kitchen, there in it too. Walked into it, not really, believing, this was England, as it looked, all too, rather cool. Settled in, and after been, shown my room, and just hanging out, Rick, recommends, we go out, for a bite; there is absolutely, nothing, in the fridge. We're out, on the streets, of London, and I look about, wanting, I believe really, to see, something, majestic. I do see, an Asian couple, Chinese, and upon, looking around some more, see some, Indians, more Chinese, and a couple, of what, some might call, English lads. The streets, are rather empty, and we walk, to an eating spot, glancing around, occasionally, but talking, some mumbo jumbo, to each other, as we walk, along. We arrived, at a, Chinese restaurant, minutes later, as Rick, apparently, likes Chinese food, and when we, were done, it was back, to the duplex. Rick, later on, left me, all alone, in the duplex, as he had, some business, to attend to, and I happened, to do, some writing, when he was gone.


Rick, later returned, and asked me, to get dressed, in something good, as we would be, going out, to see someone, later that evening. I got dressed, in some, khaki pants, and a navy blue jacket, rather suede, that extended, almost, to my knees. I believed, I looked good, although, Rick, did look, or glance, at me, when I did, present myself, at the door, ready to exit. The car, was there again, but this time, Rick, was driving; I don't know, how Rick, got himself, a British driving license, and I did not ask. We were on, the road, when I happened, to ask, Rick, where it was really, we were going, and he said, "Just meeting some guys, I have a deal, planned out". As I had mentioned earlier, Rick, does really think, London, is destined, to be, the next, great, business Mecca. I don't doubt, his beliefs, or ambitions, as I know, he is rather, keenly intelligent, but, I just don't see it, happening, any time soon; he, on the other hand, does. We sped along, until, we arrived, at a neighbourhood, that looked, like something, out of, Nottinghill. I came out, of the car, packed now, by a sidewalk, next to, a row, of many houses, and was kinda thinking, David Copperfield, but not. Rick is out, of the car, rather swiftly, and I follow him, into, a nearby house, whose gate, he just, passes through, into, the inside, with my following him, from behind. A doorbell later, and standing outside the door, looking around me, as Rick, awaits, for the door, to be opened, sees me, notice, that he has, a red coat, on, velvet like, in nature. The door, opens, and a voice, rings out saying, "Rick, you're back", and I look, at the Gent, standing there, blonde haired, blue eyed, looks American, but speaks, English. We're in, into the house, rather splendid in nature, and I follow, the duo, into a living room, where we are, aptly seated. I am surprised, we do not, really, take out, our shoes. Still seated there, the Gent, whose name, is Ted, returns, with a couple, of soft drinks; Rick has a pepsi, and I a coke. "So whats up?" says Ted, as Rick turns around, towards me, and introduces me to him. "We're back" says Rick, "and I guess, we should be moving". "Not quite right now" says Ted, "still have some business, to handle". Rick, excuses himself, to go, into a study, and, as I am looking, around, the house, he is busy, talking, to Ted, about something, done earlier. I am looking, at Ted now, and still noticing, he looks, American, ask, whether, he is from Cali. I don't really engage, with Americans too much, only dealing, with Americanistas really. "Noh!" he somewhat says, "I am really, from England". "Grew up here, but been stateside, several times, in my lifetime". Rick returns, holding, some papers, and asks Ted, "where are the plans, I was looking at?" And Rick, motions, into the study, and says, "try by the desk next to the shelves". I take it all in, looking cautiously, wondering, what could be amiss. When one hears, talks of plans, one kind of believes, something big, and possible, is about, to happen. Rick and Ted, look like, they have been buddies, for some time now, and are rather, well acquainted, with each other, as Rick, talks back, to Ted, without even, glancing at him. The plans, turned out, to be actual plans, of a museum, which, had me rather, totally surprised; when I think museum, I don't envision, Rick, or Ted, near anything, like it. Ted, is rather silent, as Rick, goes back, into the study, and I take, the opportunity, to surprisingly ask, Ted, what they are up to. He kinda looks back at me, surprised, and says, "Kind of doing, some business; dealing, with a museum really". I take that in, not knowing really, what it means, and I do not ask, too much; I kinda believe, I will discern it all, by myself, eventually.

We later on, left, Teds spot, and sped off, again, with Ted on course too, to a, destination, only he, knew about. It was towards, central
London. We arrived later, at a restaurant, rather trendy looking, and got out, at a spot, nearby, where, Ted, was already, standing, having parked his car, and waiting us, to do so too. When we had got out, of the car, and Rick, somewhat spoken to Ted, we followed him, into, the restaurant, which required, a reservation, of sorts. I kinda thought, we would get banned, for we all looked, rather flashy. We were in though, and headed, towards, a table, where on, there was, an English lady, waiting. We get there, and Ted, greets her, rather enthusiastically, and he sits down, and, with a gesture, of the hand, invites, both me, and Rick, to do, likewise. We are seated, down, me next to Rick, Ted across us, and the, English lady, at the head, of the table. As Ted, is talking to her, I glance, and look at her, to see, whom she really is. I am rather surprised, and even taken back, when I discover, that seated, at the head of the table, is Keira Knightley. Totally amazed really, but Rick, seems, rather unfazed. Ted, is talking, to Keira Knightley, rather excitedly, and is apparently, telling her, about, the museum plans. As they talk, I kind of, begin, to make out, what is going on. There is, apparently, a museum, to be opened, and Keira Knightley, seems, to be, right, in the midst of things. She asks questions, about the plans, and Ted, without missing, a beat really, answers, all of her questions. Rick, is rather silent, all along, and he does not, look, at Keira Knightley, at all. I, on the otherhand, kind of, stare at her, before looking back, at Ted. At about, that time, the waiter, arrives, with some soup, which he places, on the table, before asking, for our orders. We all, kinda order, some steak, Keira Knightley, going first. The order placed, and we are back, to looking, at the soup. We are taking the soup down, with Keira Knightley, asking Ted, questions, about, this so called museum, and Rick, looking down, at his soup, rather apprehensively, I believe. As we are still taking it, all down, 20 minutes later, Ted, somewhat, excuses himself, from the table, to say hi, to someone, he has seen, and while gone, Keira Knightley, turns to look, rather, straight ahead. I do catch, her stare, into the nothingness really, in front, and as I turn back, to my soup, I rather hear, Rick, say: "Nice soup!!" "You like it", rings out, Keira Knightleys voice, and she goes ahead, to explain to him, what the soup, is made of, and even, pretty much, how they prepared it. I am rather astounded, even shocked, that Rick, I believe really, has just had, a conversation, with Keira Knightley. And as I, glance at him, from the corner, of my eye, and as Keira Knightley, fills him, with all the soup details, I do find myself, looking out, for a break, to come. I listen somewhat, to what, she has to say, and when, she is done, I take in, a short breathe, and with, folk in hand, point slightly, at the air, in front of me, and with a short, "ah!", I then say, "Its been raining, heavily, in England, lately". I notice, that Rick, hears me, and Keira, who has taken it all in, while still, looking, rather straight ahead, sees her eyes, turn, towards me, and with, a short pause, kind of, says to me: "Well, it always rains in England". I hear her voice, and almost immediately, go back, to finishing my soup. Ted is back, and rather apologises, to Keira Knightley really, about, the delay, and sits down, to finish up, rather swiftly, the soup, set right, in front of him. The steak, beef really, later arrived, and we all, munched it down, without, too much, further talk. We were done, and I find myself, glancing, rather automatically, at Keira Knightley, to see, if she enjoyed, her meal. She looks somewhat, straight ahead, before quickly, glancing at me, at about the moment, Ted, swiftly, touches her arm, and says, something, to her. They have, a slight conversation, which makes, Keira laugh, and I somewhat, find myself, turning, to Rick, to see really, if a conversation, is possible. The dinner, with Keira Knightley in it, was rather, a success, in my opinion, and just, as I believed, it was all over, we were later, joined, by some more pals, of Teds. There was one woman, in the group too.

We were having, some drinks, all of us, Rick, Ted, Keira, and the new group, which included, a new woman, by the name, of Joanne, and conversation, was generally flowing. I took, a rather, short interest, in Joanne, wondering, whom she was, and what, she did, in life. She is across, the table, and I find, conversation, with her, rather difficult, to enact. We are all, kind of, leaning back, into our chairs, drinks at hand, and starting, to warm up, to each other. It is then, a conversation, of interest, strikes up. It is started, by John, an English gentleman, seated, to my right. He, is one of the ones, who came along, with Joanne; together, with Will, and Kevin. Kind of, African names, I kind of, imagine to myself, and as the conversation, starts up, I turn, to listen, to John, and what he has, to say. "I'm thinking of moving, to
Ipswich, to live there, for a while", is what he says, to Keira Knightley, after she inquires, about, his general health, and status. "But why?!!" is what she retorts, to the answer, given by John. "It kinda feels, like the right thing to do", is what, he said back, to her. After a small pause, he very much, continued: "I'm just, kind of tired, of London, all this, at the moment. I don't really know, what I want, anymore", he finishedly said, with an almost, toss, of his napkin. The new group, had ordered, a dessert, cream cake, before, all this started. Keira Knightley, seemed, rather dumbfounded, at the comment, by John, and he seemed, rather resigned, after saying it. The whole conversation, when it had fully, struck up, turned out, to be a kind, of, 'weepfest', about, the ills, of living today. No one, on the table, was feeling, enthusiastic, about life, at the moment; thats kinda what, I discerned. The general consent, though, was that, the group, was kind of bored, with success, as their society, defined it. "All I really want, to do, is eat muffins, and drink, caffeine, almost all day long", is what, Joanne, had to say, about life, at the present. "What can I do, to do this, almost all day?" is kinda what, she posed, towards Keira Knightley, and not really, the others. Kevin, was dead tired, of his job; I didn't really like Kevin, and I know, it was because, of his name. As the conversation, ensued, with Rick, and Ted, all together silent, one could feel, it was about, to turn, into, a 'whinefest', and Keira Knightley, was somehow, supposedly, supposed, to solve it all. It was then, struck, by a moment of genius, really, and some, rapid thinking, that I decided, to jump, into the fray. "Maybe you should all seek, to live life, from a, different perspective", is what, I said, under the constant glare, of Ted, the tensing, of Rick, and the look, of interest, from John. "And what do you mean, by that?!!" is what, Keira Knightley, had to say to me. "It kinda looks to me, that you all", I kinda said, while looking around the table, with Ted, still staring at me, Rick, totally gazing down, and Keira, with hands clasped, looking intently, at me. "It kinda looks to me, that you all, are kind of living, life, from the motivations angle". They all kind of, went silent, at the obviousness, of the statement, but also, very much, at its lack, of clarity. "And how else, would we live it?", asked Keira Knightley. I looked down, still kinda feeling, Rick, next to me, and answered, "Well, you could always, do it, from the interests, and wishes perspective". I made it clear, to the group, in many words, and motions, that they sought, success, for what, would happen, after, they succeeded; their motivations. "And how do we live, by interests?!!" is the question, that came, from Joanne, almost, not buying, into what, I had to say. With many pauses, in between, and several gestures, too, I kinda explained, that a life, based on, interests, was simply one, whereby, people, worked, simply, to enliven, their interests. Interests, such as, fishing, reading books, visiting museums, and other such, similar interests. It was kinda then, that Teds, and Ricks, museum plans, kinda hit me, straight, awakening me, to the fact, they were kinda, on road, to doing, the interests thing. Without missing a step, I quickly said, to Joanne, "You could do, the wish thing". "And whats that?!", is what she said, back to me, and I kinda went, silent, having not expected, the question, so upfront. After, a few moments, of thought, and a silent glare, from Ted, and Rick, still very much, gazing down, I said, "Why don't you find, a job, a task really, where you work, kind of part time, but make, lots of money". There were, some few sniggles, wolf like, in nature, at my request, which ended, with Joanne asking, "And what, kind of job, is that?" It was then, I was struck, by a moment, of genius again; "how about, if you became, an aide-de-campe". "Thats French", is what Keira Knightley, had to say, with me, noticing, her very much, dark eyes. "Its kind of, simple, aide-de-campes, are like, the lawyers, of old", is what, I mentioned, and everybody out there, knows, lawyers, make, lots of money, doing nothing much. "How does that, really work though", is what Joanne, had to ask, with a hint, of even, great interest. "The way I see it, is, you could get, attached, to a kind, of wealthy group, and simply, be, an aide-de-campe; what this really means", my being confident, "is that, you could be, a kind of, psychologist-lawyer, and unlike lawyers, who deal, with problems, aide-de-campes, tend to, fore-see, problems, and deal with them, before they occur." I thought, that was, kind of ingenious, what I told Joanne, and, I could see, she kind of, thought, about it. My whole point though, of my talking, about all this, was not, really, due to an innate, desire, for expressivity, but just due, to realizing, how 'wack', in many ways, life, has become. The motivations model, is pretty much, out-moded; its been done, and programmed, into the masses, via, the TV, movies, and other such media. The interest thing, is kind of, interesting too, but one, will probably, discover, there is nothing, of interest, going on, out there. Few spots, to fish, boring museums, no good books or music, and rather, plainly, ordinary, and even, boring, people, out there. Most people, would rather, be working, than be, out there, enjoying life, supposedly. The wishes thing though, is kind of new, and could probably, work, but it needs, a kind of, higher vision, than one, I can offer. The conversation, ended, with my staring, at Keira Knightleys, black eyes, and it wound down, amicably, before, we all set off, to our, respective beds.